Friday, February 15, 2013

You can do it!!

I truly don't know if I have ever been more unsure of myself and more daunted as I was when I started on this homeschool journey. It is a terrifying venture, to say the least.

And then I started researching- which in a way, made it worse! There are as many ways to homeschool as there are homeschoolers! And I really had no idea where to start! Or what curriculum to use! AHH!!  I have to figure out a curriculum, too???  Most of the time I'm just trying to not screw up my kids! Now I'm in charge of molding their entire education??? 

See what I mean?

And you want to know a little secret? I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing. But I read a lot and I keep reading. And I decided to let my kids lead me.

We started at the beginning of the summer, because I was due with my third baby, Sugar Britches, at the beginning of the school year. And at first I did "SCHOOL"! It was as much like a classroom as I could make it- just at home instead. And we worked all summer that way.  And it was fine.

After the arrival of Sugar Britches and our time off and I had to have surgery... blah, blah, blah. I just didn't have time to "SCHOOL"! So we started to drift off of that course. And I've been really glad that we did! Now, the kids pretty much are leading what we study. And it has been a beautiful thing!

"Mom! What kind of animals live in a desert?" turned into a study of habitats. Complete with us building our own desert! And an ocean and studying wetlands....

And don't you learn more when you are studying something you are interested in learning? Well, so do kids! Imagine that.

We take it day by day. And the kids are learning! A lot! And so am I!!!

It has been the most rewarding experience. It isn't easy. But most things that are worthwhile seldom are.

But, if you want to homeschool, you can! It isn't for everyone. But if you want to do it, you can!!

No comments:

Post a Comment