Monday, February 18, 2013

A hard one to write

So, I got called out on homeschooling by someone. Someone I don't even know. I've never met, never conversed with before, never heard of... until they called me out. And it bothers me. I don't know why, but it does. All over one sentence.

I was reading an article about a little girl getting checked out of school by a stranger that claimed to be her mom. And, well, horrible things happened to that sweet baby. I very, very rarely comment on any online articles. The anonymity of the internet leads to too many bullies. I commented and simply stated that while this wasn't the norm, it made me happy that I homeschool.

And then she came out of the woodwork. I was accused of "not equipping my kids for the real world" and doing them a "disservice of placing my fears on them". This stranger, that knows what my family needs better than I, called me out.

And I consider what she said laughable. My kids spend WAY more time in the "real" world than a public/ private school kid. So, it doesn't even make sense. And it isn't true.

So, why does it sting?

I have been way too close to violent tragedies. I have had a family member brutally murdered, one mugged and I have been raped. I will certainly admit to being skittish about a lot of situations.

But, this is not why I homeschool.  Is it a perk? Sure. I don't have to worry about a lunatic walking into my kid's school with a weapon. I don't have to worry about them being abducted from the playground. But it isn't why.

So, it stings.

I know people judge the fact that we homeschool. Some do it quietly. Some do it loudly. Some do it with a look. Or a "well meaning" question. And it does bother me.

I know, I mean I KNOW, this is what is best for us. It just sucks that I have to defend it.

And it is so hard to defend against ignorance.

4 comments:

  1. what a sin. friggin trolls. you're doing what's right for YOUR family, and if it's not right for hers, that's fine. She can do what she likes. Otherwise, leave y'all alone or she'll have your friends to answer to <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! People are so brave typing in their little glass houses, no?

      We aren't perfect, but I'm certainly not hiding my kids from the world.

      Delete
  2. It IS hard to get those comments!

    Here is a bit of help I've given myself when it comes to online commenting...I turn off all notifications for follow-up comments when I can. :) What I don't know won't bother me. lol!

    What is a greater shame, is that the commenter on your comment is preparing HER children to live in a society that functions on a conveyer belt mentality. Her kids will get on the belt starting with government Kindergarten and will ride that belt all the way through without much room for individualism.

    You can smile tonight knowing that YOUR kids will be able to explore their own individualism...YOUR kids will know how to relate to people of ALL ages and backgrounds...YOUR kids will be prepared for "real life" because they are LIVING real life...all the time.

    "Real Life" is not an event.

    "Real Life" is a WAY of life. Your poor commenter is laboring under the delusion that "real life" is something to be conquered...like a certificate of achievement after the school system is done with her kids.

    Here is some food for thought....
    I've often wondered how government schools prepare ANYONE for "real life". I mean, when in life will we EVER be stuck in a room with people of our age and only our age for 7-8 hours a day?? When in life will we EVER go to work for 8 hours a day and then be expected to take work home with us and do it...for free (homework)? When in life will we EVER need to ask permission to use the restroom? Well, unless we end up in jail...and then we might have to ask permission to pee, but all in all, "real life" is so, so much more than sitting at desks and doing busy work.

    Those desks, by the way, were designed years ago to "constrain" children to one place...to keep them morally clean...to prevent them from "escaping". If you think about it, "real life" workers who must use desks have ergonomic chairs that allow for movement and comfort. :) "Real life" workers who work in an office setting are, more often than not, allowed to customize their work area to be more "user friendly"...more designed to help THEM function in their job the best way THEY know how.

    .....

    Oh, I could go on and on. But...just sit back and smile...YOUR kids will know what it is like to be functioning in "real life". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Jill. I did stop reading the comments. I replied to her (more politely than she deserved) and left the article. I didn't want to know what any one else had to say. For all I know, a bunch of HSers defended me or a bunch of people called me delusional.

      And that is exactly how I feel about the "real" world stuff. Where in society is this replicated? Where do we follow this norm past high school? I mean, they don't even have the same laws as society in a public school?

      This troll felt empowered by attacking me, I'm sure. And if that is what it takes for her to feel better about herself, that is just sad. I will continue in my path and my choices for my family. I will fight for what we need when I have to and I will defend how we school. when I have to. Which I am hoping will be less and less as more and more of us become mainstream. :)

      Delete