Friday, February 8, 2013

bribery

Well, not really bribery. I guess it is more "incentive".

I have a treasure box. It is filled with trinkets and candy. Mostly just dollar store stuff.  If the boys do all their school work for the whole week, they earn a trip to the treasure box on Friday.

I know there are a lot of varying opinions on whether you should do this or not. But, you know what? It is something my boys get really excited about! And, in my opinion, if it is something about school that really excites them, then I'm all for it!

I've read articles about we shouldn't "teach kids to work for stickers or small tokens". That we should teach them to do the work because they are supposed to. That they should complete their work for the sake of completing it and that should be the reward. And I get that. I do.

But don't adults work for reward? Research suggests that recognition is ranked as the #1 motivator in adults to do a good job! Don't we work for pay checks, bonuses, recognition?

I believe that kids should feel great about doing good work and completing it. But I also don't see the harm in them getting a little reward for doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment